PM Narendra Modi inaugurated the Bogibeel bridge in Assam. The 4.94-kilometer long Bogibeel bridge on Brahmaputra river will connect the two northeast states of Assam and Arunachal Pradesh.
This Bogibeel Bridge on Brahmaputra river marks a historic milestone towards achieving the goal of New India. It was in 2002, the then Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee commenced the construction of the double-decker bridge in Dibrugarh of Assam.
Important Facts about the Bogibeel bridge:
- The 4.9 km-long Bogibeel Bridge on the Brahmaputra river is India’s only fully welded bridge for which European codes and welding standards were adhered to for the first time in the country.
- The bridge is constructed at an estimated cost of 5,800 crore rupees.
- The bridge has a two-line railway track on the lower deck and a three-lane road on the top deck.
- For the first time in Indian Railways, the girder has steel floor system for railway tracks and concrete for road.
- The bridge reduces travel time from Assam to Arunachal Pradesh to four hours and will cut out the detour of over 170 km via Tinsukia.
Source- DD News