The 31st ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) Summit was held in Manila, Philippines. Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte chaired the summit. The Summit, with the theme “Partnering for Change, Engaging the World”.
The ASEAN Business and Investment Summit (ABIS) 2017 is a 3-day conference of the ASEAN Business Advisory Council (ABAC) being held from November 12 to November 14.
Important Excerpts from the Visit of PM Modi to Philippines and 31st ASEAN Summit-
Meetings Held/Agreements Singned-
1. ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) Council Meeting held,
2. 16th ASEAN Political-Security Community (APSC) Council Meeting held,
3. 20th ASEAN Coordinating Council (ACC) Meeting held,
4. The Master Plan on ASEAN Connectivity (MPAC) 2025 Videos were launched,
5. Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership Ministerial Meeting (RCEP MM),
6. Signing of the Side Agreements of the ASEAN-Hong Kong Investment Agreement (AHKIA),
7. Signing of the ASEAN-Hong Kong, China (AHKFTA) Free Trade Agreement (FTA).
India’s Meetings/Bilateral Talks-
1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), in Philippines. The institute is working towards developing better quality of rice seed and addressing food scarcity issues.
2. Indo-US Bilateral Talks- PM Modi and US President Donald Trump held bilateral talks on the sidelines of the ASEAN Summit in Manila. Both leaders discussed a range of key issues including defence and security. They have resolved that “two of the world’s great democracies should also have the world’s greatest militaries”.
3. Four agreements were signed by India and Philippines- in areas including Defence Cooperation and Logistics, agriculture, Micro, Medium and Small Enterprises-MSME and forging closer relations between the Indian Council of World Affairs and the Philippines Foreign Service Institute.
4. Prime Minister Modi held bilateral talks with his Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbul. In their brief meeting, both sides exchanged views on issues of mutual interest, including bilateral, regional and international issues.
Static/Current Takeaway Points Important for IBPS PO Mains 2017 Exam-
- Philippines Capital- Manila, Currency- Philippine peso.
- President- Rodrigo Duterte.
- In July 2017, the PM Modi’s cabinet approved a proposal for IRRI to set up its South Asia Regional Centre at Varanasi.
Source- The Indian Express