The 2016 South Asian Games, officially known as 12th SAG held at Guwahati, India. In 12th SAG the host country India got record breaking 308 medal. A total number of 2,672 athletes have competed in 228 events over 23 sports.
The Logo and mascot of 2016 SAG was Tikhor, the baby Rhino and the anthem of the games was chosen to be a famous Assamese song, “Ei Prithibi Ek Krirangan” (The world is a playground) by Bhupen Hazarika, an Indian lyricist, musician, singer, poet and film-maker from Assam.
This was the best performance by any country in the Games’ 32-year history. This time, the Indian athletes ran away with 188 gold, 90 silver and 30 bronze medals. The host country bagged more than three-fourth of the total 239 gold . The only edition in which India’s domination was near comparable was the 1995 Games in then Madras where India won 106 gold just less than three-fourth out of 143.
Sri Lanka were a distant second with 25 gold, 63 silver and 98 bronze while Pakistan finished at third with 12 gold, 37 silver and 57 bronze. India has always finished on top in all the 1 editions of the SAG so far but the domination this time was unprecedented with clean or near clean sweep in boxing, archery, tennis, badminton, table tennis, shooting, athletics, wrestling, swimming, weightlifting, cycling, judo and wushu.
Some winner of the South Asian Games are :-
- In tennis all the five finals were all-Indian affairs.
- Volleyball, Kho kho, Kabaddi, Handball : men and women : both titles picked by the India .
- The team gold in the men’s 50 metre Rifle 3 position event was won by India. Chain Singh, Gagan Narang and Surendra Sinh Rathod’s combined score of 3490 was almost 100 points ahead of bronze-winning Bangladesh (3398).
- Mary Kom beat Sri Lanka’s Anusha Kodituwakku Dilrukshi through a technical knockout (TKO) in a flyweight category bout lasting less than 90 seconds.
- Vikas Krishan beat Tanveer Ahmed in 75 kg to win India’s seventh gold medal.
- That India lost the men’s finals in hockey and football against this miserable competition. It’s a result worthy of a national level enquiry.
- Judo returned a relatively poor haul. In three divisions out of 12, Indians did not win gold.
Extra Info :
SAG : South Asian Games
Held : Guwahati , India
Logo & Mascot : Tikhor
So lets discuss some questions related to this article which can be asked in the upcoming exams :
1. The 12th edition of SAG held at which place ?
2. Which country has won maximum number of medals ?
3. Name the country who has won maximum gold in South Asian Games ?