The 17th edition of FIFA U-17 World Cup took place for the first time in India. It is a biennial international football tournament of men’s under-17 national teams organized by Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA).
- The official Mascot for the FIFA U-17 World Cup 2017 was clouded leopard named ‘Kheleo’.
- The official ball for Under-17 football World Cup is called ‘Krasava’.
- The final match of the event was held in Salt Lake Stadium, Kolkata.
First in U-17 World Cup 2017-
- This was the first time India hosted U-17 FIFA World Cup.
- Switzerland’s Esther Staubli became the first female football referee to officiate a match.
- Jeakson Singh creates history by scoring India’s first ever goal in FIFA World Cup.
- FIFA U-17 WC in India becomes most attended in event’s history for the first time.
- USA-Based Namit Deshpande becomes the First NRI to Play for India’s U17 World Cup Team.
Winners and Awards-
- England has won the FIFA U-17 World Cup by defeating Spain by 5-2.
- Phil Foden of England has been adjudged tournament’s best player and has been awarded ‘Golden Ball’.
- Rhian Brewster from England has scored the most goals in the tournament (8 goals) and has been awarded, ‘Golden Boot’.
- Gabriel Brazao the goalkeeper of Brazil’s national football team has won the ‘Golden Glove’.
- Brazil has won the Fair Play Award.
Source- FIFA Official Website