Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched – Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana ‘Saubhagya’ to provide electricity connections to over 4 crore families in rural and urban areas by December 2018.
In India, four crore out of 25 crore families do not have power connection even after 70 years of independence. Power Minister R K Singh stated that India will achieve the target of power for all by December 2018, while all villages will be electrified by the end of 2017.
Here are things you must know about the Saubhagya Scheme:-
- The Saubhagya scheme basically means Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana,
- It aims to provide access to electricity to all families in India,
- The Saubhagya scheme will provide free electricity connection to poor families of India,
- The total outlay for Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana is pegged at Rs 16,320 crore,
- The Centre will provide largely funds for the scheme to all States/UTs,
- Saubhagya Yojana will give access to electricity to all ‘willing’ households in India.
Source- The Financial Express