The Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI) upheld complaints against 51 out of 102 advertisements. The advertising industry watchdog’s Consumer Complaint Council (CCC) found the claims in various categories advertisers to be either misleading or false or not adequately / scientifically substantiated and hence violating ASCI’s Code.
Out of 51 advertisements against which complaints were upheld, 13 belonged to the Education category, 12 to the Food & Beverages category, followed by 11 in the Healthcare category, 6 in the E-commerce category and 9 advertisements from other categories.
In education category advertisements of Rice Education, Adamas Career, Tathagat, Think & Learn etc. were upheld, while in Healthcare segment advertisement of the brands such as Emami, Dabur India, Patanjali Ayurved, Mosons and Uttam Dawakhana were upheld. Advertisements of following ecommerce brands were also upheld PortMart, Xeroin Retail, Amazon, Ibibo Group and HolidayIQ.Apart from these, advertisements from Balaji Telefilms, Viacom18 and Times on India were also upheld.
About Advertising Standards Council of India:
Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI) is a self-regulatory voluntary organization of the advertising industry in India. Like other countries around the world, India too has a self-regulatory organization (SRO) for advertising content – The Advertising Standards Council of India, ASCI founded in 1985. The three main constituents of advertising industry viz advertisers, advertising agencies and media came together to form this independent NGO. The aim of ASCI is to maintain and enhance the public’s confidence in advertising. Their mandate is that all advertising material must be truthful, legal and honest, decent and not objectify women, safe for consumers – especially children and last but not the least, fair to their competitors.
ASCI Chairman – Mr. Benoy Roychowdhury.
Headquarter – Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
- Bharti Airtel was pulled up for advertisements for its 4G network.
- ASCI also upheld complaints against yoga guru Ramdev’s Patanjali Ayurved Ltd for its product Patanjali Kesh Kanti and Dant Kanti for making claims of “World’s No.1 Ayurvedic Brand and 100 per cent charity from profits were not substantiated.”
- Bharti Airtel Limited is a leading global telecommunications company with operations in 20 countries across Asia and Africa. Headquartered in New Delhi, India
- Bharti Airtel CEO: Gopal Vittal, Founder: Sunil Bharti Mittal.
- Consumer Complaint Council (CCC)
- self-regulatory organization (SRO)
So lets do:
- Who is the chairman of ASCI ?
- Expand the CCC and SRO ?
- ASCI founded in which year ?
- ASCI upheld complaints against ____ out of 102 advertisements.
- Who is the CEO of Bharti Airtel?
Source – The Hindu