The Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister set up a Beekeeping Development Committee under the Chairmanship of Bibek Debroy to identify ways of advancing beekeeping in India. Some of the recommendations in the report include:
- Recognizing honeybees as inputs to agriculture and considering landless beekeepers as farmers.
- Institutionalizing the National Bee Board and rename it as the Honey and Pollinators Board of India.
- Plantation of bee friendly flora at appropriate places and engaging women self help groups in managing such plantations.
- Training and development of beekeepers by state governments.
- Development of national and regional infrastructure for storage, processing and marketing of honey and other bee products.
- Simplifying procedures and specifying clear standards for ease of exporting honey and other bee products.
Source: The Press Information Bureau