The Union Cabinet has approved the revamped Khelo India program at a cost of Rs.1,756 crore for the period 2017-18 to 2019-20. This marks a watershed moment in the history of Indian sports, as the Programme aims at mainstreaming sport as a tool for individual development, community development, economic development and national development.
Important features of the Program include:
- An unprecedented Pan Indian Sports Scholarship scheme, which would cover 1,000 most talented young athletes.
- Each athlete selected under the scheme shall receive an annual scholarship worth Rs. 5.00 lakh for 8 consecutive years.
- This is the first time ever that a long-term athlete development pathway would be made available to gifted and talented youngsters to excel in competitive sports.
- The Program aims to promote 20 universities across the country as hubs of sporting excellence, which would enable talented sportspersons to pursue the dual pathway of education and competitive sports.
- The Programme would cover about 200 million children in the age group of 10-18 under a massive national physical fitness drive.
Source- Press Information Bureau (PIB)