New rule Of E-waste Management Rules, 2016 has, for the first time, brought in its ambit the management of the waste of compact fluorescent lamps (CFL) and other mercury-containing lamps. It also for the first time put the onus of collecting the e-waste on producers/manufacturers by introducing an “extended producer responsibility” clause in it.
- Under the new rules, consumers of electronic/electric items (smart phones, laptops, TV, washing machines, microwave ovens, airconditioners etc) will get incentive for handing over the e-waste to retailers or dealers under a newly introduced “deposit refund scheme”.
- At present, bulk of the e-waste is managed in a very unscientific manner, involving manual handling for breaking and extraction through rudimentary methods of burning and using chemical solution.
- Minister of State for Environment, Forest and Climate Change is Shri Prakash Javadekar
- Waste management comes under which ministry?
- Who is the Minister of State for Environment, Forest and Climate Change?