The Gandhi Peace Prize for the years 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 has been conferred on the following:
1. For 2015: Vivekananda Kendra, Kanyakumari for their contribution in Rural Development, Education , Development of natural resources.
2. For 2016: Jointly to Akshaya Patra Foundation for its contribution in providing mid-day meals to millions of children across India and Sulabh International for its contribution in improving the condition of sanitation in India and emancipation of manual scavengers.
3. For 2017: Ekal Abhiyan Trust for their contribution in providing Education for Rural and Tribal Children in remote areas pan India, Rural Empowerment, Gender and Social Equality.
4. For 2018: Shri Yohei Sasakawa for his contribution in Leprosy Eradication in India and across the world.
The jury under the Chairmanship of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and comprising the Chief Justice of India, Justice Ranjan Gogoi, Speaker of Lok Sabha Smt. Sumitra Mahajan etc.
Source- Press Information Bureau (PIB)
Static/Current Takeaways Important For IBPS Clerk Mains Exam:
- The annual award was instituted by the Government of India in 1995 during the commemoration of 125th Birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
- The award carries an amount of Rs 1Crore, a Citation in a scroll, a plaque as well as an exquisite traditional handicraft/handloom item.