Union Government has notified new rules to improve the Schedule Castes and Schedule Tribes Act also known as Preventions of Atrocities Act. The notification has been issued by the government on the birth anniversary of Dr. Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar, popularly known as Babasaheb.
The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment had notified the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Amendment Rules 2016 on 14 April, following which rules have now been framed.
Some of the key upgrades in the bill:
1. The provision of completing an investigation and filing a charge sheet in the court within 60 days of the filing of the complaint by a member of SC/ST community.
2. A provision in the revamped bill is delinking the requirement of the medical examination for getting relief amount for non-invasive offenses against the women.
3. The new provisions have increased the existing quantum of relief amount from between Rs. 75,000 and Rs. 7, 50,000 to between Rs. 85,000 and Rs. 8, 25,000, depending on the nature of the offense.
1. Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment – Thawar Chand Gehlot.
2. Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989.
So let’s do:
1. Who is the Social Justice and Empowerment minister?
2. Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act passed in which year?