According to the HRD Minister, Smriti Irani, many women are getting enrolled in higher education but not many are seen in faculty of colleges and universities. Ministry has requested UGC to consider relaxing norms so as to enable women compete M Phil and PhD “in a proactive fashion”. In terms of M Phil, for two years, the ministry has extended that limit to three years and in PhD, they are hoping to increase it to eight years instead of six. Irani said female students will also be given maternity leave of 240 days which will be excluded from their total time of study.
- HRD Ministry has also requested UGC to accord autonomous status to colleges which have been granted the highest grade
- University Grants Commission(UGC)
2. Who is the HRD minister of India?
3. Who is the Chairman of UGC?
4. HRD Ministry has decided to give additional time to women and persons with _____ to complete their M.Phil and Ph.D.