As per a UN report on the ‘state of food security and nutrition in the world’, the number of undernourished globally increased to 821 million in 2017, which means that one in every nine people, does not have enough to eat. Regarding adult obesity, the report highlights that the situation is also getting worse. More than one in eight adults in the world is now endangering their health from being overweight; or more than 672 million.
It was published by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), World Food Programme (WFP), UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) and the World Health Organization (WHO). The increase is mostly due to three drivers across the world:
1. the intensification of conflict,
2. an economic downturn, and
3. the effects of climate change.
Source- The United Nations
Static/Current Takeaways Important for Indian Bank PO Exam 2018-
- Antonio Guterres is the Secretary-General of the United Nations.
- The UN Headquarters in New York, United States.