India and Maldives have signed six agreements in different sectors to boost bilateral relations between both maritime neighbouring countries. The agreements were signed after comprehensive talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and visiting Maldives President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom at the Hyderabad House.
In the talks it was agreed that India will set up a police academy, build the Defence Ministry building of Maldives besides speeding up infrastructure projects relating to security. India will also extend all possible assistance to the island nation, including in maritime sphere and capacity building of armed forces.
Here the list of signed Agreements:
1. Double Taxation – The two sides inked a pact for avoidance of double taxation of income derived from International Air Transport. The agreement seeks to avoid double taxation of income derived from international air transport.
2. Exchange of Information –This agreement includes exchange of information relevant to the determination, assessment and collection of such taxes, the recovery and enforcement of tax claims, or the investigation and prosecution of tax matters.
3. Defence Cooperation – The two nations signed an action plan for defence cooperation. Action plan is in the context of defence cooperation being an important component of the India-Maldives bilateral relationship and the shared strategic and security interests of the two countries in the Indian Ocean region.
4. Space Research – Agreement signed related to orbit frequency coordination of the proposed South Asia Satellite at 48 degrees
5. Tourism Cooperation – India and Maldives also signed an MoU on cooperation in the field of tourism. The MoU envisages cooperation in areas of tourism including expansion of bilateral cooperation; exchange of information and data related to tourism; encouraging cooperation between tourism stakeholders including hotels and tour operators establishing exchange programmes for cooperation in Human Resource Development.
6. Conservation and Restoration – Both sides entered into an MoU for cooperation in the area of conservation and restoration of ancient mosques and joint research and exploratory surveys in Maldives. The MoU proposes to undertake conservation and restoration of ancient mosques and other historical monuments in Maldives.
The two nations signed an action plan for defence cooperation. Action plan is in the context of defence cooperation being an important component of the India-Maldives bilateral relationship and the shared strategic and security interests of the two countries in the Indian Ocean region.
The Maldives is a tropical nation in the Indian Ocean composed of 26 coral atolls, which are made up of hundreds of islands. It’s known for its beaches, blue lagoons and extensive reefs.
Maldives currency – Maldivian rufiyaa
Malidives President – Abdulla Yameen
So lets do:
1. India and Maldives have signed _____________ in different sectors to boost bilateral relations.
2. Who is the Malidives President?
Source – The Business-Standard