India’s top female Long-distance runner Lalita Babar was named as the Sports Person of the Year in the India Sports Awards 2015 in a ceremony organised by the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) with the support of the Sports Ministry. The Indian Sports Award were given away in New Delhi at the conclusion of day one of ‘Turf 2015-16′.
The long distance runner Lalita Babar has qualified for Rio Olympics in the 3000 meter steeplechase event and is the current Indian national record holder. She has also won a bronze medal in 2014 Incheon Asian Games and is the current Asian champion. Barbar belongs to a drought-ridden Maan taluka in Satara district of Maharashtra. Barbar, a farmer’s daughter had been running barefoot until in 2005 when she was stopped from competing in a national level meet.
On the other hand, Gymnast Dipa Karmakar was named as the Breakthrough Sports Person of the Year while Amateur Kabaddi Federation of India was conferred with the Best National Sports Federation recognition. Dipa clinched the women’s vault bronze medal at the Asian Championships being held in Hiroshima in August last year. A year back during the National Games in Kerala, Dipa won five gold medal for her state Tripura.
Among the other winners the recipients of the award in different categories are:
- Hockey legend Balbir Singh has been conferred with the Lifetime Achievement award.
- Best Company Promoting Sports (Public Sector): Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Ltd (ONGC).
- Best Company Promoting Sports (Private Sector): YES Bank Pvt Ltd.
- Best Professional Services Company: Technology Frontiers (India) Pvt Ltd.
- Best NGO Promoting Sports: STAIRS.
- Best Sports Start-up: HotFut Sports Infrastructure Pvt Ltd.
- Best National Sports Federation: Amateur Kabaddi Federation of India.
- Wushu coach Kuldeep Handoo won the Coach of the year award and Gujarat won the Best Sports State award.
Extra Info :
FICCI Chairman : Mr. Harshavardhan Neotia
Founder : Ghanshyam Das Birla
Founded In : 1927
Headquarter : New Delhi
So lets discuss some questions related to this article which can be asked in the upcoming exams :
1. Name the long distance runner who has named as the Sports Person Of The Year ?
2. Who is the current Chairman of FICCI ?
3. Expand the term FICCI ?
4. Dipa Karmakar is associated with which game ?
Courtesy : PIB News