India successfully conducted a first test flight of the indigenously developed Hypersonic Technology Demonstrator Vehicle (HSTDV) from a base off the Odisha coast. The only other countries that possess this technology are the US, Russia and China.
- The HSTDV is an unmanned scramjet (allowing supersonic combustion) demonstration vehicle that can cruise up to a speed of mach 6 (or six times the speed of sound) and rise up to an altitude of 32 km in 20 seconds.
- It has a range of uses, including missiles of the future, and energy-efficient, low cost and reusable satellite-launch vehicle.
Source: Live Mint
Static/Current Takeaways Important For LIC AAO/ADO Mains 2019:
- DRDO: Defence Research and Development Organization
- Founded: 1958, Headquarter: New Delhi
- Chairman: Dr G Satheesh Reddy