All 12 major domestic ports will soon switch to renewable energy to meet their entire power requirements, making India the first country to have all government-owned ports running on solar and wind energy.
The government plans to install almost 200 megawatt solar and wind power generation capacity at the ports by 2019. Almost 150 mw of this will be solar power and 50 mw wind power generation capacity. The capacity could be ramped up to 500 mw in the next few years.
Static Takeaways for SBI PO Mains Exams-
- Few major Government Ports are Listed Below:
- Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- Visakhapatnam Port, Andhra Pradesh.
- Kochi Port, Kerala.
- New Mangalore Port, Karnataka.
- Mundra Port, Gujarat.
- Kandla Port, Gujarat.
- Port of Quilon – The oldest and second largest port in Kerala
Source- The Indian Express