India is unanimously chosen as co-chair of the Consultative Group (CG) of Global Facility for Disaster Reduction and Recovery (GFDRR) for the fiscal year 2020. The decision was taken during the CG meeting of GFDRR held in Geneva, Switzerland, on the margins of the 6th Session of the GPDRR 2019.
The CG Meeting was co-chaired by Africa Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) Group of States, the European Union (EU) and World Bank. Additionally, GFDRR in cooperation with the UN Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR) and the European Union had also organized the 4th edition of the World Reconstruction Conference (WRC). This is the first time that the country has been afforded the opportunity of co-chairing the CG meeting of GFDRR.
- GFDRR: Global Facility for Disaster Reduction and Recovery
- ACP: Africa Caribbean and Pacific
- UNDRR: UN Office for Disaster Risk Reduction
- WRC: World Reconstruction Conference.
Source- Press Information Bureau (PIB)
Static/Current Takeaways Important For SSC CGL 2019:
- GFDRR is a global partnership that helps developing countries better understand and reduce their vulnerability to natural hazards and climate change.
- India became a member of CG of GFDRR in 2015 and expressed its interest to co-chair in last meeting of CG held in October 2018.