India will host the eighth annual Summit of BRICS from October 15-16 in Goa in its capacity as chair of the influential bloc comprising five countries with 42 per cent of the world population and combined GDP of over $16 trillion.
External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj made the announcement today during a function where she also unveiled a logo and a website of the Summit. India assumed chairmanship of BRICS (Brazil-Russia-India- China-South Africa) from Russia on February 15 and it will last till December 31.
As per the The External Affairs Minister of India’s core-theme during BRICS chairmanship will be building responsive, inclusive and collective solutions for the grouping. The logo for the Summit is a lotus having colours from all the five member countries and a traditional ‘namaste’ in the centre.
BRICS SUMMIT 2016
- BRICS is the acronym for an association of five major emerging national economies: Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa. The grouping was originally known as “BRIC” before the inclusion of South Africa in 2011. The BRICS members are all developing or newly industrialised countries, but they are distinguished by their large, fast-growing economies and significant influence on regional and global affairs; all five are G-20 members. Since 2009, the BRICS nations have met annually at formal summits. Russia currently holds the chair of the BRICS group, and hosted the group’s seventh summit in July 2015.
- The 2016 BRICS summit will be the eighth annual BRICS summit, an international relations conference attended by the heads of state or heads of government of the five member states Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa. The summit will be held in Panaji, Goa in India, from 15th to 16th October 2016. India is to assume the chair of the BRICS from February 2016 to December 2016.
- Ministry of external affair have planned a series of events including – the BRICS Under-17 Football Tournament, BRICS Film Festival, BRICS Wellness Forum, BRICS Youth Forum, Young Diplomat’s Forum, BRICS Trade Fair, BRICS Friendship Cities Conclave besides the think-tank and academic forums.
- External Affairs Minister of India – Sushma Swaraj
- Governor of Goa is Mridula Sinha.
So lets do:
- Who is the External Affairs Minister of India?
- Who is the Governor of India?
- Where is 8th annual BRICS SUMMIT 2016 held in?
- How many member country in BRICS?
Source – The India today