The International Migrant Stock 2019 was released by the Population Division of the UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA). The report provides the latest estimates of the number of international migrants by age, sex and origin for all countries and areas of the world.
As per the report, India was the leading country of origin of international migrants in 2019 with a 17.5 million strong diaspora.
Some important findings of the report:
- The top 10 countries of origin account for one-third of all international migrants. India is the leading country of origin of international migrants with 17.5 million persons living abroad. Migrants from Mexico constituted the second largest diaspora (11.8 million), followed by China (10.7 million).
- Europe hosted the largest number of international migrants (82 million), followed by Northern America (59 million) and Northern Africa and Western Asia (49 million). India hosted 5.1 million international migrants in 2019.
- Among the international migrants in India, the female population was 48.8% and the median age of international migrants was 47.1 years.
- In India, the highest number of international migrants came from Bangladesh, Pakistan and Nepal.
- In terms of age, one out of every seven international migrants is below the age of 20 years.
Static/Current Takeaways Important For IBPS RRB PO Mains:
- UN Under Secretary General for Department of Economic and Social Affairs: Liu Zhenmin.
Source: The Hindu