Prime Minister Narendra Modi said the Centre’s policy of giving LPG subsidy directly in consumers’ bank accounts has saved the country Rs.15,000 crore last year.
“When we decided to deposit the subsidy directly to the bank accounts, we found that three to four crore consumers could not be traced. This leakage of gas connection was stopped and we saved Rs.15,000 crore in an year,” Modi told a gathering of prominent citizens here this evening. He said 85 lakh people had surrendered their LPG subsidy in response to his request. “People who surrendered their subsidy are not rich people and comprised even retired persons.
The Prime Minister said the Jan Dhan and Mudra Yojanas were also very successful and helped more than 20 crore families to open their bank accounts and Rs 1.25 lakh crore of loans are being disbursed.
Direct Benefit Transfer
- Direct Benefit Transfer or DBT is an attempt to change the mechanism of transferring subsidies launched by Government of India on 1 January 2013. This program aims to transfer subsidies directly to the people through their bank accounts. It is hoped that crediting subsidies into bank accounts will reduce leakages, delays, etc
- The primary aim of this Direct Benefit Transfer program is to bring transparency and terminate pilferage from distribution of funds sponsored by Central Government of India.
- 85 lakh people had surrendered their LPG subsidy in response to his request. “People who surrendered their subsidy are not rich people and comprised even retired persons.
- Earlier subsidised urea did not reach the farmers but went straight to the chemical factories where it was used as raw material. “But now we have introduced neem coating and the factories cannot use it,” Modi said, adding he was sharing the informations to show if the intentions are right then policies and implementations are also in the right direction
- Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas – dharmendra pradhan
So lets do:
- Who is the Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas?
- In which year Direct Benefit Transfer Scheme launched?
Source – The Hindu