The week long Make in India concluded in Mumbai. It was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on February 13, 2016. The event has secured investment commitments worth Rs 15.2 lakh crore, with host state Maharashtra alone accounting for Rs 8 lakh crore. Besides, it received investment enquiries worth Rs 1.5 lakh crore.
The Make in India was country’s biggest show of manufacturing sector that had successfully brought manufacturing, design and innovation to the centre-stage. 102 countries were represented in the mega expo and more than 8 lakh people visited the expo and other events, out of which 49,74 were registered delegates. A total of 150 events were organized under the banner of this event and more than 25 thousand people had participated in seminars. Make in India Week also provided platform for nearly eight thousand Business-to-Business (B2B), Business-to-Government (B2G) and Government-to-Government (G2G) meetings. 17 Indian states and 3 countries – Germany, Sweden and Poland had their own pavilions in the Make in India Centre.
The Make In India Expo was spread over 23 lakh sqft area where 215 exhibitors show cased their strengths and opportunities in 11 sectors covering aerospace & defence, automobiles, chemicals & petrochemicals, construction machinery, food processing, infrastructure, IT & electronics, industrial equipment & machinery, MSME, pharmaceuticals and textiles.
Main deals concluded during the MIIW :-
- Sterlite Group company TwinStar Display Technologies & MIDC for LCD manufacturing unit in technical collaboration with Autron of Taiwan .
- BAE Systems and Mahindra for assembling and testing of M777 Howitzers.
- ORACLE’s USD 400 million investment in India to set up 9 incubation center.
- Trivitron healthcare manufacturing unit in Chennai.
- Gujarat Government and Vestas (Denmark) for wind mill blades manufacturing unit at Ahmedabad.
- Raymond Industries to invest Rs. 1400 crore for manufacturing linen yarn and fabric facility.
- Mahindra & Mahindra: Investment – Rs. 8000 crores (Nashik: Rs. 6500 crores, Chakan – Rs. 1,500 crore).
- Gujarat Government and Tar Kovacs Systems (France) for offshore platform to develop marine applications in Gujarat.
- Tar Kovacs and Government of Karnataka for setting up ocean based renewable energy project.
- Yes Bank and IREDA for financing of renewable power projects.
- Ascendas- Investment: Rs. 4571 crore – Employment: 1.09 Lakh.
- Mercedes- Investment: Rs. 1500 crore – Employment: 4270.
- Rashtriya Chemicals and Fertilizers – Investment: Rs. 6204 cr – Employment: 140.
- Godrej Industries- Investment: Rs. 3000 cr – Employment: 2000
- JSW Jaigarh Port Ltd – Investment: Rs. 6000 crores – Employment: 1000.
- CREDAI and MCHI for 5.7 Lakh affordable homes with an investment of Rs.1.1 lakh crore and 7.6 lakh jobs.
- Government of Jharkhand and Vedanta Ltd.
- Government of Jharkhand and Adani group to set up a thermal power plant with a total capacity of 1,600 MW to be supplied to Bangladesh Grid.
- Agreement between Government of Jharkhand and Adani Group to set up a Coal based Methane fertilizer plant.
- Uber and Skill Development and Entrepreneurship Department (SDED) of the Maharashtra government.
- Rs 2,200 crore Electronics Development Fund was unveiled by the Communications & IT Minister Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad to finance innovations, research and development in electronics manufacturing sector.
- National Capital Goods Policy was unveiled by the Heavy Industries Minister Shri Anant Geete aimed at creating an ecosystem for a globally competitive capital goods sector. ·
- Investment Opportunities in Food Processing Industry by Ms.Harsimrat Kaur Badal.
- E toll policy covering 360 toll plazas on the National Highways across the country.
- The Maharashtra government unveiled five new policies during the Make In India Week: 1. Maharashtra Retail Policy, 2. Single Window Policy, 3. Maharashtra Maritime Industries Policy. 4. Electronics Policy covering FAB manufacturing 5. Special package for SC/ST entrepreneurs.
- Other key initiatives of the Make In India Week included Industry- Academia Partnership, role of design in manufacturing, Make In India : Way Forward seminar with focus on domestic manufacturing, digital India initiative, smart cities and skill India programme.
So lets discuss some questions related to this article which can be asked in the upcoming exams :
1. Expand the term MIIW.
2. Make in India week was conclude at which place ?
3. Name the person who has inaugurated Make In India Week ?
Courtesy : PTI