Montenegro has officially joined North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and hence became the 29th member country of NATO. Montenegro Foreign Minister Srdjan Darmanovic submitted the official accession papers in a ceremony at the US State Department.
The move came in the face of bitter opposition from Russia, which says NATO’s steady expansion into the former communist states of Eastern Europe threatens its own security and cannot go unchallenged. NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg stated that the alliance will benefit from Montenegro’s insight into the Balkans.
Static Takeaways for IBPS PO Exam-
- The Capital of Montenegro is Podgorica and its Currency is Euro
- The Current President of Montenegro is Filip Vujanovic
- The Current Prime Minister of Montenegro is Dusko Markovic
- Secretary-General of NATO is Jens Stoltenberg
- NATO Headquarters in Brussels, Belgium.
Source- Hindustan Times