Bollywood won big at the 63rd National Awards with Amitabh Bachchan and Kangana Ranaut scooping up Best Actor and Best Actress awards for Piku and Tanu Weds Manu Returns respectively.
SS Rajamouli’s magnum opus Baahubali emerged as the Best Film and Sanjay Leela Bhansali won in the best director category for his period drama, Bajirao Mastani. Earlier, Bollywood director Ramesh Sippy and actor-director Satish Kaushik handed over the recommendations for the awards to information and broadcasting minister Arun Jaitley.
This is 4th National Amitabh Bachchan who had earlier won for Agneepath, Paa and Black. For Kangana, this comes as the second consecutive win. She was adjudged the Best Actress last year for Vikas Bahl’s Queen, which also emerged as the Best Film.
List of winners:
- Best Film: Baahubali – The Beginning
- Best Director: Sanjay Leela Bhansali for ‘Bajirao Mastani’
- Best Actor: Amitabh Bachchan for ‘Piku’
- Best Actress: Kangana Ranaut for ‘Tanu Weds Manu Returns’
- Indira Gandhi Award for Best Debut Film Of A Director: Neeraj Ghaywan, Masaan
- Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment: Bajrangi Bhaijaan
- Best Choreography: Remo D’Souza, Deewani Mastani song in Bajirao Mastani
- Best Malayalam Film: Pathemari, Artistically narrated saga of 2 generations of Malayali workers who migrated to gulf for livelihood
- Best Tamil Film: Visaaranai
- Best Sanskrit Film: Priyamanasam
National Film Awards:
The National Film Awards is the most prominent film award ceremonies in India. Established in 1954, it has been administered, along with the International Film Festival of India and the Indian Panorama, by the Indian government’s Directorate of Film Festivals since 1973.
Every year, a national panel appointed by the government selects the winning entry, and the award ceremony is held in New Delhi, where the President of India presents the awards. This is followed by the inauguration of the National Film Festival, where the award-winning films are screened for the public.
- Ramesh Sippy chaired the 11-member jury for the selection of movies in 2016. While the nominees had a strong presence of regional movies, Bollywood emerged as a clear winner this year.
- The National Awards cover the entire national spectrum of Indian Cinema to judge merit and over the years have become the most coveted and prestigious awards in the country.
- Union information and broadcasting minister Arun Jaitley
So lets do:
- Who is the Union information and broadcasting minister?
- Ramesh Sippy chaired the ______ jury for the selection of movies in 2016.
- Who won the best Director award 63rd National Film Awards 2016?
Source – Hindustan Times