Pranab Mukherjee, the President of India conferred the National Geoscience Awards 2014 at a function to be held at Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi. These awards are presented to honour individuals and team of scientists for their outstanding contributions in the field of fundamental or applied Geosciences, Mining and Allied areas.
The National Geoscience Awards was previously known as the National Mineral Awards and was instituted by the Ministry of Mines in 1966. The award carries cash prize and a certificate. Till the last year , 721 geoscientists have been honoured with the National Geoscience Awards.
Any citizen of India who is a professionally qualified geo-scientist or engineer or technologist or academician with significant contribution in any field of earth sciences is eligible. Nominations are invited annually for NGA under three categories namely, NGA, National Geoscience Award for Excellence and Young Researcher Award. The selection of the awardees is a three tier process and the final round of selection is done by the Award Making Authority chaired by the Secretary to Government of India, Ministry of Mines.
For 2014, Professor Ashok Kumar Singhvi was conferred with the highest honour National Geoscience Award for Excellence for his outstanding contributions in the field of sedimentary technologies. While Dr IndraSekharSen have awarded with Young Scientist Award.
Along with him, 31 other geoscientists were being given the awards in 13 Various Disciplines including Mining Technology, Basic Geosciences, Geo-Information System, etc.
The list of some other important awardees of NGA 2014 is as follows:-
National Geoscience Awards – 2014
- Prof. Ashok Kumar Singhvi : Award For Excellence
- Dr. Muduru Lachhana Dora : Mineral Discovery & Exploration
- Shri Biswajeet Lenka : Mineral Discovery & Exploration
- Shri Syed Ajaz Ahmad : Mineral Discovery & Exploration
- Shri Hemraj Suryavanshi : Mineral Discovery & Exploration
- Shri Vijay V. Mugal : Coal, Lignite and Coal Bed Methane Discovery & Exploration
- Shri Lalit Khasdeo : Coal, Lignite and Coal Bed Methane Discovery & Exploration
- Shri Kaushik Rajbanshi : Coal, Lignite and Coal Bed Methane Discovery & Exploration
- Dr. Abhijit Mukherjee : Groundwater Exploration
- Dr. Satyendra Kumar Singh : Mining Technology
So lets discuss some questions related to this article which can be asked in the upcoming exams :
1. The National Geoscience Awards – 2014 have been presented by whom ?
2. Name the person, who has been awarded with the National Geoscience Award for excellence in the field of sedimentary technologies ?
3. Total how many person have been confered with the National Geoscience Awards for the year 2014 ?
Courtesy : Business Standard