President Ram Nath Kovind conferred the Gandhi Peace Prize for 2015, 16, 17 and 18 at a function in Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi. The award comprises a cash award of one crore rupees, a citation in a scroll, a plaque and a traditional handicraft item.
Here are the awardees that were facilitated at the occasion:
1. For 2015: Vivekananda Kendra, Kanyakumari was given the award for its contribution in Rural Development, Education and Development of natural resources.
2. For 2016: Jointly to Akshaya Patra Foundation for its contribution in providing mid-day meals to millions of children across India and Sulabh International for its contribution in improving the condition of sanitation in India and emancipation of manual scavengers.
3. For 2017: Ekal Abhiyan Trust for its contribution in providing Education for Rural and Tribal Children in remote areas pan India, Rural Empowerment, Gender, and Social Equality.
4. For 2018: Japan’s Yohei Sasakawa for his contribution in Leprosy Eradication in India and across the world.
Source- Press Information Bureau (PIB)
Static/Current Takeaways Important For NIACL AO Mains Exam:
- Instituted in 1995 on the occasion of the 125th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, the annual award is given to individuals and institutions for their contribution towards social, economic and political transformation through non-violence and other Gandhian methods.