President Pranab Mukherjee has conferred Infosys Prize 2015 on six winners for their outstanding contribution in the research fields in New Delhi. The awards were received by Prof Umesh Waghmare, Prof Jonardon Ganeri, Dr Amit Sharma, Prof Mahan Mj, Prof G Ravindra Kumar and Dr Srinath Raghavan.
These are the six winners who have got the prize
1. Umesh Waghmare: He was awarded in Engineering and Computer Science category for his innovative use of first-principles theories and modeling of certain materials such as topological insulators, multiferroics, ferroelectrics and graphene.
2. Jonardon Ganeri: He was awarded in Humanities category for his outstanding work in interpreting and scrutinizing analytical Indian Philosophy.
3. Amit Sharma: He was awarded in Life Sciences category for his contributions in deciphering the molecular structure at the atomic level of key proteins involved in the biology of pathogenesis of the deadly malarial parasite.
4. Mahan Maharaj: He was awarded in Mathematical Sciences category for his contributions to low-dimensional topology, geometric group theory and complex geometry.
5. Ravindra Kumar: He was awarded in Physical Sciences category for his pioneering experimental contributions to the physics of high intensity laser matter interactions.
6. Srinath Raghavan: He was awarded in Social Sciences category for outstanding research that synthesizes military history, strategic analysis and international politics into powerful and imaginative perspectives on India in global context.
The Infosys Prize is an annual award given to scientists, researchers, engineers and social scientists in India by the Infosys Science Foundation and ranks among the highest monetary awards in India to recognize scientific research. The Prize was originally given across five categories: Engineering and Computer Science, Life Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Physical Sciences and Social Sciences but a sixth category – the Humanities was added in 2012. The prize for each category includes a gold medallion, a citation certificate, and prize money of Rs. 55 Lakh.
So now lets discuss some questions about this article which can be asked in the upcoming exams :
1. Who has conferred the Infosys Prize 2015 ?
2. Name the categories in which Infosys prize are given ?