The Reserve Bank of India has released the results of the September 2019 round of its Consumer Confidence Survey. The survey was conducted in 13 major cities: Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Bhopal, Chennai, Delhi, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mumbai, Patna and Thiruvananthapuram.
Perceptions and expectations on the general economic situation, the employment scenario, the overall price situation and own income and spending are obtained from households across these cities.
Highlights of the survey:
- Consumer confidence weakened in September with both the current situation index and the future expectations index recording declines.
- Households’ sentiments on the general economic situation and the employment scenario declined. They were less optimistic on their income over the year ahead than in July 2019.
- Respondents perceived an increase in the price level over the last 1 year and a majority of them expect prices to rise further in the coming year.
- Respondents sentiments on overall spending as well as essential spending remain strong, though sentiments on discretionary spending weakened.
Static/Current Takeaways Important For IBPS RRB PO Mains:
- Governor of RBI: Shaktikant Das; Headquarters: Mumbai; Founded: 1 April 1935, Kolkata.
Source: The Reserve Bank of India