The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) Executive Director Dr. Natalia Kanem has launched the 2017 State of World Population report in London, UK. The new UNFPA report has been entitled as “Worlds Apart: Reproductive Health and Rights in an Age of Inequality.”
As per the report, economic inequality goes hand in hand with inequality in reproductive health. As of 2017, half of 1.6 billion women of reproductive age living in developing regions want to avoid a pregnancy.
The new UNFPA report warns-
- Only about half of the world’s women hold paid jobs
- Globally, women earn 77 per cent of what men get
- Three in five women worldwide lack maternity leave, many pay “motherhood penalty”
About The United Nations Population Fund:
- It was formed in the year 1969.
- Headquarters of UNFPA is located in New York, US.
- In October 2017, United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres appointed Dr. Natalia Kanem Executive Director of UNFPA.