United Nation released its “World Population Prospects Report 2019”.
Findings of the report are:
- India will overtake China as the most populous country by 2027 and will have almost 1.64 billion inhabitants by 2050.
- The Central and the Southern Asia region is expected to see a 25% increase in population till 2050.
- The rate of population growth is the highest in sub-Saharan Africa, where the fertility rate stand at 4.6 births per woman over a lifetime.
- India is still among the countries where the working-age population (25-64 years) is growing faster than other groups.
- People aged above 65 are the fastest growing age group.
Source: The Hindu
Static/Current Takeaways Important For LIC AAO Mains 2019:
- United Nations Headquarters in New York, USA. It was founded on 24 October 1945.
- Mr Antonio Guterres of Portugal is the Secretary-General of the United Nations.