Every year, 3rd May is celebrated as the World Press Freedom Day. It is celebrated by UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) to evaluate press freedom around the world, to defend the media from attacks on their independence and to pay tribute to journalists who have lost their lives in the exercise of their profession.
UNESCO, the Government of Indonesia, and the Press Council of Indonesia co-organized the World Press Freedom Day’s main event and the UNESCO/Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize Ceremony in Jakarta, Indonesia, from 1-4 May 2017.
The international day was proclaimed by the UN General Assembly in 1993 following a Recommendation adopted at the 26th Session of UNESCO’s General Conference in 1991.
Important Takeaways from above News for NIACL Mains Exam-
- World Press Freedom Day is celebrated on 03rd May
- It is organized by UNESCO
- UNESCO is responsible for coordinating international cooperation in education, science, culture and communication
- Irina Bokova is the Director-General of UNESCO
- UNESCO Headquarters based in Paris, France
If you have any other takeaways, do share with us in the comment section