3rd Khelo India University Games
The third edition of the Khelo India University Games concluded at the IIT BHU campus in Varanasi. The closing ceremony was attended by Anurag Singh Thakur, the Union Youth Affairs and Sports Minister, Nishith Pramanik, the Union Minister of State for Sports, and Yogi Adityanath, the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh.
3rd Khelo India University Games: Closing Ceremony
During his speech at the closing ceremony, Anurag Singh Thakur highlighted that the Khelo India campaign, initiated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has provided the biggest platform for identifying talented players in the country. He emphasized that the campaign’s objective is not only to enhance sports infrastructure but also to nurture and support talented athletes.
Thakur commended the Uttar Pradesh government for successfully organizing the 3rd Khelo India University Games and mentioned the positive development of sports facilities and sports culture in the state.
During the closing ceremony of the third Khelo India Games, Union Ministers, dignitaries, players, and attendees paid their respects to the victims of the Balasore train accident. They observed a two-minute silence in honor of the departed souls.
About 3rd Khelo India University Games
- Punjab University emerged as the overall champions once again at the Khelo India University Games, reclaiming their title after missing out in the previous edition.
- Despite Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar, winning all the gold medals in Fencing, they fell short on the final day of the competition.
- Panjab University concluded the Games with a total of 69 medals, including 26 gold, 17 silver, and 26 bronze.
- Guru Nanak Dev University secured 24 gold, 27 silver, and 17 bronze medals, securing their place in the top three for the first time.
- Jain University from Karnataka, last year’s champions, finished third with 16 gold, 10 silver, and six bronze medals.
- Notably, Jain University had the most successful male and female athletes of the Khelo India University Games 2022.
- Siva Sridhar dominated the men’s Swimming category with a remarkable tally of 11 medals, including eight golds. Shrungi Bandekar, Siva’s teammate, secured five gold and four silver medals in the women’s Swimming category.
- A total of 131 out of 203 participating universities took part in the Games, resulting in the creation of 11 new Games records over the course of 12 competition days.
The Games were hosted in four cities of Uttar Pradesh, namely Lucknow, Varanasi, Gorakhpur, and Gautambuddh Nagar, with the Shooting competition taking place in Delhi. Additionally, Water Sports made its debut at the Games, featuring Rowing competitions in Gorakhpur.
About Khelo India University Games
- Khelo India University Games (KIUG) is an annual multi-sport event organized by the Government of India with the aim of promoting sports culture and nurturing young talent at the university level.
- Launched in 2019, the Khelo India University Games have quickly gained recognition as a prestigious platform for student-athletes to showcase their skills and compete at a national level.
- This article explores the significance of the Khelo India University Games and its impact on the development of sports in India.
- The Khelo India University Games have emerged as a significant sporting event in India, igniting the aspirations of student-athletes and providing them with a platform to shine.
- Through its focus on promoting a sports culture, identifying young talent, and providing world-class infrastructure, the Games are instrumental in shaping the future of sports in India.
With each passing year, the Khelo India University Games continue to inspire and empower student-athletes, creating a legacy of sporting excellence that will propel India towards greater success on the international stage.
Also Read: Max Verstappen wins Spanish Grand Prix 2023