Supreme Council Member and Ruler of Sharjah, Dr Sultan bin Mohammed Al Qasimi has opened, the 41st edition of the Sharjah International Book Fair (SIBF), which is taking place from November 2 to13 at the Expo Centre Sharjah, according to the Emirates News Agency (WAM). Sheikh Sultan bin Ahmed bin Sultan Al Qasimi, Deputy Ruler of Sharjah, was also present at the inauguration of the event, which is organized by the Sharjah Book Authority, under the theme ‘Spread the Word.’
Sharjah International Book Fair: Attendances
This year’s SIBF edition features 2,213 publishers from 95 countries, including 1,298 Arab and 915 foreign publishing houses. Around 150 prominent Arab and foreign writers, thinkers, innovators, and artists from 15 countries will participate in the fair’s activities, across 1,500 events and various dialogue sessions, including 200 cultural events.
- The fair witnessed the launch of the first volumes of the ‘Historical Dictionary of the Arabic Language.’
- He also highlighted the importance and benefits of the dictionary in research and history, its comprehensiveness of all Arabic linguistic knowledge and its informational uniqueness.
- Dr Sheikh Sultan concluded his speech by calling on everyone to benefit from the great cultural event in the Emirate.
- The Sharjah Ruler took a souvenir photo with the scholars who contributed to the project of the ‘Historical Dictionary of the Arabic Language’ from linguistic academies in the Arab world.
- He also honoured the cultural personality for this edition, the Sudanese historian, Professor Yusuf Fadl Hasan.