57th Jnanpith Award
Damodar Mauzo, a Goan short story writer, novelist, critic, and scriptwriter in Konkani, has been awarded the 57th Jnanpith Award, India’s highest literary honor. Mauzo is the second Goan to receive the award, after Ravindra Kelekar in 2008. Mauzo’s 25 books have been published in Konkani and one in English. Many of his books have also been translated in different languages. Mauzo’s famous novel ‘Karmelin’ received the Sahitya Akademi Award in 1983. Renowned poet Gulzar was present during the function held at the Raj Bhavan near Goa capital Panaji.
About the Damodar Mauzo
- Mauzo was born in 1944 in the village of Aldona, Goa. He began writing short stories in the early 1960s, and his work has been translated into English, French, Portuguese, and other languages.
- Mauzo’s work often deals with the lives of ordinary people in Goa, and he is known for his realistic portrayal of social and economic issues. His stories have been praised for their insightfulness and compassion.
- He studied at the University of Bombay, where he received a Bachelor of Arts degree in English. After graduating, he worked as a journalist for a few years before becoming a full-time writer.
- Mauzo’s first short story, “The End of the Night,” was published in 1965. Since then, he has published over 25 books, including novels, short story collections, and essays. His work has been translated into English, French, Portuguese, and other languages.
- Mauzo is a recipient of numerous awards, including the Sahitya Akademi Award, the Padma Shri, and the Padma Bhushan. He is also a member of the Sahitya Akademi and the Goa Konkani Academy.
- Mauzo’s work is a valuable contribution to the world of literature. His stories are insightful, compassionate, and beautifully written. He is a true master of the short story, and he is a worthy recipient of the Jnanpith Award.
- South Asian Film Festival of Montreal honors ‘Gauri’ with ‘Best Long Documentary Award‘
- Bulgarian writer Georgi Gospodinov wins International Booker Prize for ‘Time Shelter