All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), Nagpur has designed and developed a ‘smart wristband’ for effective tracking and monitoring of Covid-19 positive and suspect patients.
The new device, a wristband is designed in collaboration with IIT Jodhpur and IIT Nagpur looks to overcome the limitations of existing online mobile apps used for tracking and monitoring coronavirus patients.
About ‘smart wristband’:
- This device will operate on a technology that is more effective than the GPS system.
- The data collected through wristband will be collected and archived on cloud facilitating monitoring by health workers from a distance.
- Tracking through mobile apps is limited to the quarantined person’s movement.
- There is no mechanism at present to track symptoms which is the user’s subjective self-assessment.
- The existing mobile apps use GPS or cell tower triangulation methods for tracking location with an accuracy that may vary sometimes up to a radius of 1.5 to 2 kilometres.