In April, 2022, General Manoj Mukund Naravane will be retiring from the post of 27th chief of the Indian Army. General M M Naravane will be leaving behind a strong legacy that would be clear only with time. He worked as an Army Chief without any showoff or publicity, even though he was directly responsible for many important strategic decisions and tactics that will be changing the shape of the Army’s outlook in the coming years.
Career of General MM Naravane:
General MM Naravane (PVSM, AVSM, SM, VSM, ADC) has done his schooling from Pune’s Jnana Prabodhini Prashala. He is an alumnus of the National Defence Academy (NDA) and the Indian Military Academy (IMA). Gen. Naravane was commissioned in the Sikh Light Infantry Regiment in June 1980. He is also an alumnus of the Defence Services Staff College, Wellington and Higher Command Course. He has a Master’s Degree in Defence Studies, M.Phil Degree in Defence and Management Studies, and is at present pursuing his Doctorate.
Journey of General MM Naravane:
- In a excellent and glorious military career spanning over four decades, General Naravane has the distinction of tenanting key command and staff appointments in Peace and Field, both in the North – East as well as in Jammu and Kashmir and has been an important part of the Indian Peace Keeping Force that was sent to Sri Lanka.
- He has with him a large amount of experience in doing his duty in the most difficult and challenging areas.
- He has also commanded a Rashtriya Rifles Battalion, and also has raised an Infantry Brigade.
- General Naravane was Inspector General at the North Assam Rifles and has commanded a prestigious group of Strike Corps.
- His staff assignments include his services as a Brigade Major of an Infantry Brigade, a Defence Attaché at Yangon which is in Myanmar, instructional appointment as Directing Staff at the Army War College in the Higher Command Wing, besides two service tenures at the Integrated Headquarters of Ministry of Defence (MoD) (Army) which is in India’s capital, New Delhi.
- General M M Naravane also had the prestigious experience of commanding the Republic Day Parade of the year 2017 in his capacity as GOC of the Delhi Area.
- After his successful command at both, the Army Training Command as well as at the Shimla and the Eastern Command which is in Kolkata, he was appointed as the Vice Chief of the Army Staff before getting appointed as the Army chief on 31 Dec 2019.