22nd Bharat Rang Mahotsav
India is celebrating the 75th year of Independence as Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav. This is celebrated by the Ministry of Culture, and on this occasion, the National School of Drama (NSD), New Delhi, organized “Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav-22nd Bharat Rang Mahotsav 2022” from 16th July to 14th August 2022. The occasion was facilitated by the Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs and Culture, Government of India, Shri. Arjun Ram Meghwal, Ms. Malini Awasthi, Padma Shree Awardee, renowned Indian folk singer, and Shri. Arvind Kumar and Director, Ministry of Culture.
What is Bharat Rang Mahotsav?
Bharat Rang Mahotsav was established two decades ago by the National School of Drama. It aims to stimulate the growth and development of theatre across the country. It is a national festival to showcase the creative works and art theatre workers in India, but it has evolved so much in the past years, that it has reached international stages. It is the largest theatre festival in Asia.
About National School of Drama (NSD)
- The National School of Drama is one of the leading theatre institutions in the world and the only one of its kind in India. In 1959, it was set up by the Sangeet Natak Akademi as one of its constituent units. It became an independent entity and registered as an autonomous organization under the Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860 in 1975.
- It was fully financed by the Ministry of Culture, Government of India. To get training in this institute students have to follow a planned syllabus that covers every aspect of theatre and in which theory is related to practice.
- The students are expected to perform and produce plays which are then performed in front of the public. The syllabus includes the methods of great theatre personalities who have shaped contemporary theatre in all its variety.
- Shri Arjun Ram Meghwal addressed the occasion by remembering the unsung heroes of the Indian freedom struggle and he suggested that the National School of Drama (NSD) should come forward to prepare plays based on those incidents switch should perform across the country to make the citizens aware.
- Ms. Malini Awasthi also addressed the occasion and emphasized that folk songs also played a very important role in the Indian freedom struggle.
- The opening ceremony was followed by the performance of the play “Aranyadhipati Tantia Mama” which was directed by Sh. Bansi Kaul.