The Government of India has announced that former Bihar Chief Minister, Karpoori Thakur, will be posthumously awarded the Bharat Ratna, the nation’s highest civilian award. This recognition is a significant acknowledgement of Thakur’s contributions to Indian politics and social reform.
Karpoori Thakur-Life and Political Career
Karpoori Thakur, born in January 1924, was a prominent figure in Bihar’s political landscape. Known for his deep connection with the backward classes, Thakur’s political journey was marked by his steadfast commitment to social justice. He served as Bihar’s Chief Minister twice, first from December 1970 to June 1971 and again from December 1977 to April 1979.
Karpoori Thakur-Advocacy for Social Justice
Thakur was a strong advocate for the underprivileged, championing the cause of the socially and economically marginalized sections of society. His tenure as Chief Minister was notable for implementing progressive policies, including land reforms and initiatives aimed at the upliftment of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes.
Legacy of Karpoori Thakur
The legacy of Karpoori Thakur extends beyond his political achievements. He is remembered for his dedication to social equality and justice. His efforts in addressing the concerns of the less privileged have left an indelible mark on Bihar’s socio-political fabric.
Important Questions Related to Exams
- What is the highest civilian award that the Government of India has posthumously awarded to former Bihar Chief Minister Karpoori Thakur?
- In which year was Karpoori Thakur, a significant figure in Bihar’s political landscape, born?
- How many times did Karpoori Thakur serve as the Chief Minister of Bihar?
- Name one of the progressive policies implemented by Karpoori Thakur during his tenure as Chief Minister.
- What specific social groups did Karpoori Thakur focus on uplifting during his tenure?
- What does the posthumous awarding of Bharat Ratna to Karpoori Thakur signify in terms of his contributions?
- How has Karpoori Thakur’s work influenced the current socio-political scenario in Bihar?
Kindly share your responses in the comment section!!