In a momentous occasion, Shri Bhupender Yadav, the Hon’ble Minister for the Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change and the Ministry of Labour & Employment, launched a G20 report titled ‘A Green and Sustainable Growth Agenda for the Global Economy’ today in New Delhi.
Distinguished Figures in Attendance
The event witnessed the presence of key figures such as Shri Amitabh Kant, Sherpa, G20 India, Shri Suman Bery, Vice Chairman, NITI Aayog, Shri B.V.R. Subrahmanyam, CEO, NITI Aayog, Shri Ajay Seth, Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs, and Shri Kapil Kapoor, Regional Director for Asia, International Development Research Centre.
International Collaboration for a Sustainable Future
In a remarkable collaborative effort, NITI Aayog, in partnership with the International Development Research Centre (IDRC) and the Global Development Network (GDN), published the report based on the proceedings of the G20 international conference held in New Delhi on 28-29 July 2023. The conference brought together 40 leading experts from 14 countries worldwide, contributing to the comprehensive insights contained in the report.
Insights from Crucial Policy Conference
The report summarizes discussions from a policy conference organized by NITI Aayog, IDRC, and GDN in July 2023, focusing on green and sustainable growth. As a G20 side event, it engaged 40 leading thinkers in shaping a new growth model, covering topics like energy, climate, technology, policy, jobs, trade, global finance, and multilateralism.
Fostering Collaboration and Action
Reflecting the collaborative G20 spirit, the report realistically addresses global development challenges, providing benchmarks for researchers and stakeholders. It emphasizes critical recommendations for shaping dialogue and consensus among member states, with key ideas incorporated into the G20 New Delhi Leaders’ Declaration.
Minister Yadav’s Vision for Climate Action
Addressing the gathering, Minister Bhupender Yadav emphasized the critical timing of the release as Brazil assumes the G20 presidency from India. Minister Yadav highlighted India’s commitment to collaborative climate action, emphasizing the need for a swift, just, and equitable transition to renewable energy sources. He stressed that climate finance and technology are essential for enabling the Global South to achieve sustainable and green growth.
Amitabh Kant on Global Growth and Free Trade
Amitabh Kant, India’s G20 Sherpa, commended NITI Aayog for organizing the international G20 conference and releasing the report. He highlighted the urgency and importance of accelerating global growth, emphasizing the critical role of free trade in lifting vast segments of the population above the poverty line. Kant called for the revitalization of the World Trade Organisation to achieve these goals.
Suman Bery Reflects on the Report’s Significance
Suman Bery, Vice Chairman of NITI Aayog, characterized the event as both a closure and a fresh start for NITI Aayog and India. He emphasized that the report’s release aims to transfer knowledge from the G20 international conference to Brazil, ensuring they benefit from the ideas presented in the volume.
Interactive Panel Discussion and Global Development Network’s Message
The report launch was followed by a video message from the Global Development Network, an introduction to the report, and an interactive panel discussion moderated by Suman Bery. The discussions underscored the importance of a just transition as a critical pathway to mitigating climate change, emphasizing its potential positive economic impact for both developed and emerging economies.
- G20 Report Launch: Shri Bhupender Yadav unveiled the G20 report, ‘A Green and Sustainable Growth Agenda for the Global Economy,’ in New Delhi, featuring key figures and stakeholders.
- Global Collaboration: NITI Aayog partnered with IDRC and GDN, presenting insights from a G20 international conference with 40 experts from 14 countries, symbolizing a global initiative for sustainable development.
- Minister Yadav’s Focus: Minister Yadav emphasized India’s commitment to collaborative climate action, stressing the need for a swift transition to renewable energy and the importance of climate finance and technology.
- Amitabh Kant’s Insights: G20 Sherpa Amitabh Kant praised NITI Aayog’s role, highlighting the urgency of global growth acceleration and the critical role of free trade, calling for the revitalization of the World Trade Organisation.
- Suman Bery’s Perspective: Vice Chairman Suman Bery characterized the report launch as a significant moment for India and NITI Aayog, aiming to transfer knowledge to Brazil, the incoming G20 presidency, with an interactive panel discussion and a video message from the Global Development Network.