External Affairs Minister, S Jaishankar has chaired the meeting of BRICS foreign ministers through video conferencing. Foreign ministers of Brazil, Russia, China, and South Africa participated in this meeting. In this meeting, Ministers agreed to cooperate on the pillars of political and security, economic and finance, and People to people and cultural exchanges.
About the Meeting:
- They also discuss the social and economic impact of the Covid-19 pandemic and also agreed on the need for reform in the United Nations and other multilateral organizations.
- They also discussed many issues including sustainable development, Terrorism, intra-BRICS cooperation, etc.
- All member countries adopted and released the ‘BRICS Joint Ministerial Statement on Strengthening and Reforming of the Multilateral System’.
- The Ministers reiterated their commitment to establishing BRICS Vaccine Research and Development Center.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- BRICS is a group formed by five major emerging countries Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
- South Africa joined the group in 2010.
- India will host the 13th BRICS summit in 2021.