The Comptroller and Auditor General of India, Girish Chandra Murmu has been re-elected as the External Auditor of the World Health Organisation (WHO) for a four-year term from 2024 to 2027. The CAG is already holding this position in the WHO since 2019 for a four-year term from 2019 to 2023. The election was held yesterday in the Seventy-sixth World Health Assembly in Geneva. The CAG was re-elected, with an overwhelming majority of 114 out of 156 votes in the first round of voting.
Overview of the news:
- After the election, in his address to the World Health Assembly, Mr Murmu outlined his vision as an External Auditor for the WHO while emphasising the process improvement for better outcomes, transparency and a professional approach.
- The office of the CAG said, the appointment is a recognition of its standing among the international community as well as its professionalism, high standards, global audit experience and strong national credentials.
- This is the second major international audit assignment for the CAG this year following his selection for the post of External Auditor of the International Labour Organisation, earlier in March this year.
About the External Auditor of the World Health Organization (WHO)
The External Auditor of the World Health Organization (WHO) is an independent auditor who is appointed by the World Health Assembly (WHA) to audit the financial statements and operations of WHO. The External Auditor is responsible for providing an independent and objective opinion on the financial statements of WHO, and for reporting on any significant findings or recommendations.
The External Auditor is also responsible for auditing WHO’s compliance with its financial regulations and with the terms of its financial assistance agreements. The External Auditor is required to report to the WHA on the results of its audits, and to make any recommendations that it considers necessary.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- World Health Organization Director-General: Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus;
- World Health Organization Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland;
- World Health Organization Founded: 7 April 1948.