A 41-year-old man in China’s eastern province of Jiangsu has been confirmed as the first human case of infection with the H10N3 strain of bird flu, China’s National Health Commission (NHC). The man, a resident of the city of Zhenjiang, was hospitalised on April 28 after developing a fever and other symptoms. He was diagnosed as having the H10N3 avian influenza virus.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
About the H10N3:
- H10N3 is a low pathogenic, or relatively less severe, the strain of the virus in poultry and the risk of it spreading on a large scale was very low.
- Many different strains of avian influenza are present in China and some sporadically infect people, usually those working with poultry.
- There have been no significant numbers of human infections with bird flu since the H7N9 strain killed around 300 people during 2016-2017.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- China Capital: Beijing.
- China Currency: Renminbi.
- China President: Xi Jinping.