A new census workstation has been unveiled by the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi in the Economics Lab of the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences. The Census Data Workstation was officially opened by Dr. Vivek Joshi, the Registrar General and Census Commissioner for India. According to Dr. Joshi, the new workstation aims to make it easier for academics and researchers to access census microdata. Additionally, it will contribute to raising awareness of the enormous amount of data that was gathered during Census activities.
- According to a release from IIT Delhi, the idea was praised by Professor Ashok Ganguli, Deputy Director (Strategy and Planning), and Professor Angelie Multani, Head of the Department.
- Ajay Garg, DCO Delhi, and Professor Ganguli also signed a contract between the Directorate of Census Operations, Delhi, and the IIT Delhi.
- The representatives from the RGI office and IIT Delhi concurred on the importance of fostering cross-border cooperation. IIT Delhi was invited by Dr. Joshi to conduct study on census operations and data.
- A debate on the potential use of AI, ML, and advanced data science approaches in digital censuses and for compiling data, such as birth and death registry data, was also held.
Important Takeaways For All Competitive Exams:
- Registrar General and Census Commissioner for India: Dr. Vivek Joshi
- Deputy Director (Strategy and Planning), IIT Delhi: Professor Ashok Ganguli