Facebook India has appointed former IAS officer Rajiv Aggarwal as the Director of Public Policy. He succeeds Ankhi Das, who quit the company in October last year. She was embroiled in a controversy for opposing the enforcement of hate-speech rules against right-wing leaders in the country. In his new role, Aggarwal will define and lead important policy development initiatives for Facebook in India on an agenda that covers user safety, data protection and privacy, inclusion and internet governance.
About the Rajiv Aggarwal:
- Aggarwal has over 26 years of experience as an Indian Administrative Officer (IAS) and worked as a District Magistrate in nine districts across Uttar Pradesh.
- During his tenure as an administrative officer, he steered India’s first-ever national policy on Intellectual Property Rights (IPRs) as Joint Secretary in the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade and was instrumental in the digital transformation of India’s IP offices.
- Aggarwal’s last assignment was with Uber, where he was the Head of Public Policy for India and South Asia.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Facebook Founded: February 2004;
- Facebook CEO: Mark Zuckerberg;
- Facebook Headquarters: California, United States.