The first Khelo India Fencing Women’s League, which will begin on 25 July, 2022, will be hosted by Talkatora Indoor Stadium in New Delhi. The first-of-its-kind national fencing competition for women will take place through the 29th of this month, according to the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports. It will take place in three stages.
- The Sports Authority of India has sanctioned a total of Rs. 1 crore 54 lakh for the league’s operations. Over 17 lakh rupees have been set aside as prize money for each phase.
- Twenty-one States and more than 300 women have enrolled to take part in the tournament.
- Bhavani Devi, an athlete from the Tokyo Olympics and the Target Olympic Podium Scheme, will compete in the league’s Senior category Sabre event. She is playing on behalf of the Tamil Nadu State.
About Bhavani Devi:
- Chadalavada Sundhararaman Anandha Indian sabre fencer Bhavani Devi is simply known as Bhavani Devi.
- She qualified for the 2020 Summer Olympics, being the first fencer from India to ever do so.
- She is assisted by the Rahul Dravid Athlete Mentorship Program, run by the GoSports Foundation. C.A.
- She created Olympic history at the Tokyo Games by becoming the first Indian to compete in the sport, and won the solo women’s sabre competition at the Charlellville National Competition in France.