During the virtual celebration of the International Day for Biological Diversity 2020, the Government of India launched key initiatives towards Conservation of Biodiversity. These initiatives are as follows:
Click Here To Get Test Series For SBI PO 2020
- National Biodiversity Authority (NBA) and United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) “Biodiversity Samrakshan Internship Programme” were launched by the Union Environment Minister. This program envisages to engage 20 students with postgraduate degrees for a duration of one year via an open, transparent, online competitive process. These students will learn about natural resource management and biodiversity conservation. Hence they will be supporting the projects of NBA in various State and Union Territories. They would also be responsible to technically help the State Biodiversity Boards/UTs Biodiversity Council in discharge of their mandates.
- Not all Animals Migrate by Choice: UNEP Campaign on Illegal Trafficking of Endangered Species: ‘Not all Animals Migrate by Choice’ waas also launched during the celebration. This campaign was launched by the Wildlife Crime Control Bureau in association with UNEP. The launch of campaign aims to address the environmental challenges, to raise awareness, and to recommend solutions.
- Biodiversity Conservation and Biological Diversity Act, 2002: A Webinar Series on ‘Biodiversity Conservation and Biological Diversity Act, 2002’ was launched during the virtual event.
- WWF Model Conference of Parties (MCoP): An initiative “WWF Model Conference of Parties (MCoP)” was launched during the virtual event. This initiative includes the younger generation so that they can participate in conversations regarding the impact of humanity’s footprint on biodiversity, as well as the importance of sustenance of biodiversity for our own survival.
- During the virtual event, an awareness campaign was launched to highlight the crucial role played by nature via its free ecological services offered to humankind. This campaign was launched with the support of WWF.