Gujarat’s Climate Change Department has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to join the worldwide ‘Save Soil’ initiative. Sadhguru, the Founder and Spiritual Leader of Isha Outreach, and Gujarat Chief Minister Shri Bhupendra Patel signed a Memorandum of Understanding in Ahmedabad. Jaggi Sadguru has set out on a 100-day motorcycle tour to raise awareness about the soil regeneration campaign throughout the world. The 30,000-kilometer journey through Europe, Central Asia, and the Middle East is an attempt to raise awareness among policymakers on the importance of soil. Shri Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev was in Gujarat as part of this tour to sign an MOU on ‘Save Soil.’
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
- Gujarat has become the first state in the country to join this worldwide soil protection campaign.
- The Isha Foundation has started the ‘Save Soil’ campaign to raise awareness about the global loss of soil fertility. Because soil quality has a significant impact on human and other organisms’ health, this movement can help address the soil issue by bringing people from all over the world together.
- Furthermore, good soil is required for the survival of life on Earth. Several micronutrients in the soil are critical for the establishment and development of agricultural crops.
In this regard, during the time of Shri Narendra Modi as Gujarat’s Chief Minister in 2006-07, Gujarat launched a foresight effort called “Soil Health Card” to protect the health and condition of the state’s soil. In the state, there are 115 soil health laboratories that measure nutrient levels in the soil. The ‘Soil Health Card’ plan has now been deployed across the country, thanks to the Prime Minister’s directive.
About the ‘Save Soil’ Campaign:
- The use of chemicals, as well as pollution and climate change, has had an influence on soil fertility. This has resulted in nutrient losses from agricultural crops.
- According to some estimates, desertification has resulted in the loss of 24% of the world’s rich soil. The UN has also issued a warning if the current practice continues.
- The UN has also warned that if present practices continue until 2050, almost 90% of the earth’s surface will be damaged.
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given farmers a new slogan of ‘Back to Basics’ to encourage them to adopt Natural Farming in order to protect the country from this and maintain soil fertility.
- The State Government, led by Chief Minister Shri Bhupendra Patel, has enhanced this commitment by signing a Memorandum of Understanding with the Isha Outreach, Isha Foundation, titled “Save Soil.”
- The State Government’s Climate Change Department and Isha Outreach have signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the goal of increasing public knowledge and engagement in different soil conservation programmes in Gujarat.
- The goals of this MoU are to avoid desertification, regulate soil salinity input, and boost green cover.
- On the occasion of the signing of the MOU, members of the State Cabinet, office bearers, senior secretaries, and members of the Isha Foundation, as well as Shri Sadhguru’s followers, were present.
Important Takeaway For All Competitive Exam:
- Gujarat Chief Minister: Bhupendra Bhai Patel