India sets world record of biggest win in terms of runs
As they completely humiliated Sri Lanka in the third and final ODI of the series by a huge margin of 317 runs to create a clean sweep of the visitors, the Men in Blue have once again inscribed their name in the history book with golden letters.
India defeat Sri Lanka and sets world record: Key Points
- The Indian team piled up a gigantic total of 390 runs on the board at the loss of five wickets with two magnificent tonnes from Indian star Virat Kohli’s unbroken 166 and Shubman Gill’s 116.
- The Blues were all over their opponents since winning the toss.
- The Sri Lankan team was never in the chase since they kept losing wickets and were unable to gather themselves as the hosts, led by Mohammed Siraj, dominated their rivals.
- When it came to the bowling statistics, Siraj stole the show with 4 wickets to his credit.
- Senior pacer Mohammed Shami also contributed with 2 wickets, and Kuldeep Yadav also had 2 wickets to his name.
India defeat Sri Lanka and sets world record: Previous Records
Prior to India’s historic victory, New Zealand, which defeated Ireland by 290 runs in 2008 at Aberdeen, held the global record for the largest win in terms of runs. Second and third position respectively go to Australia’s 275 run victory over Afghanistan in 2015 and South Africa’s 272 run triumph over Zimbabwe in 2010.
Prior to the victory over Sri Lanka, Bermuda in 2007 represented Bermuda’s best victory in terms of runs, with the Blues defeating their opponents by a margin of 257 runs.
Sri Lanka Board seeks Explanation from Team Management after Record Loss
In the third and final ODI of the three-match series against India, Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) is looking for explanations for the team’s record defeat. The islanders failed to achieve a victory in the series after losing the third ODI against India by a record margin of 317 runs. Dasun Shanaka’s team failed to reach its 391-run goal and was defeated by just 73 runs. Sri Lanka Cricket issued a statement following the defeat asking the team management for a report on the significant setback.
India’s biggest win’s in ODI cricket history
|Match||Date||Venue||Margin of VIctory|
|India vs Srin Lanka||15 Jan 2023||Thiruvananthapuram||India Won by 317 runs|
|India v Bermuda||19 Mar 2007||Port of Spain||India Won by 257 runs|
|India v Hong Kong||25 Jun 2008||Karachi||India Won by 256 runs|
|India v Bangladesh||10 Dec 2022||Chattogram||India Won by 227 runs|
|India v West Indies||29 Oct 2018||Brabourne||India Won by 224 runs|