India’s position has slipped by two places to be placed at 53rd spot in the 2020 Democracy Index, from among 167 countries. The overall score of India is 6.61 in the Index, on a scale of 0-10. India has been classified as a ‘flawed democracy’. Democracy Index is the global ranking released by The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) that provides a snapshot of the current state of democracy worldwide.
About the Index:
- Norway has topped the Index.
- Iceland, Sweden, New Zealand and Canada are the top five countries on the list.
- From the 167 countries, the Democracy Index has classified 23 countries as full democracies, 52 as flawed democracies, 35 as hybrid regimes and 57 as authoritarian regimes.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- The Economist Intelligence Unit Headquarters: London, United Kingdom.
- The Economist Intelligence Unit Parent organization: Economist Group.
- The Economist Intelligence Unit Founded: 1946.