The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully test-fired the subsonic cruise missile ‘Nirbhay’ on June 24, 2021, from an Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur in Odisha’s Balasore. This was the eighth test flight of the missile. The first test flight of Nirbhay was held on 12 March 2013.
About the Missile:
- Nirbhay is a long-range, all-weather, subsonic cruise missile indigenously designed and developed by DRDO.
- The missile can be launched from multiple platforms and is capable of carrying conventional and nuclear warheads.
- Nirbhay is a two-stage missile and can engage several targets in a single flight.
- The missile has a length of 6 metres, a width of 0.52 metres, a wingspan of 2.7 metres and weighs about 1500 kg.
- It has a strike range of about 1500 km.